This World Mental Health Day (October 10th), aware that all too often the signs of deteriorating mental health can go amiss in the male population especially, we are handing over our social platforms to Rob Astley-Turner. Rob has worked closely with and been supported by StrongMen, a UK-based charity that supports men who are dealing with grief.
Rob has shared his experience of bereavement on our platforms and reflected on how StrongMen has helped him throughout, to encourage more conversation about mental health and highlight how charities like StrongMen can help.
Rob comments: “I found the support of StrongMen to be hugely helpful with my grief. At no point did I ever feel obliged to speak about my experience, but by having an open and understanding space I naturally felt I could open up more in my own time. For anyone struggling with their mental health right now, I strongly encourage them to seek support, whether it be from a professional, a family member, friend or charitable organisation.”
Strong Men was founded by former ‘SAS: Who Dares Wins’ recruits Dan Cross and Efrem Brynin to provide a more inclusive space for men who have faced grief to open up about their experiences. Having dealt with loss themselves, they emphasise the importance of looking after yourself physically and connecting with others who have faced similar circumstances to aid the healing process.
Head over to our Facebook and Instagram pages on Sunday 10th to hear first-hand from Rob about his own experiences. Abbey will be donating to the charity for World Mental Health Day – if you would like to find out more about the organisation or make a donation, visit www.strongmen.org.uk. You can also donate by simply texting ‘STRONG’ to 70085 to donate £5.
Other fantastic organisations which offer help to those struggling with mental health are:
- Mind – Provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.
- YoungMinds – The UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people’s mental health.
- Samaritans – Works to make sure there’s always someone there for anyone who needs someone.
- Rethink Mental Illness – Aims to make sure everyone severely affected by mental illness has a good quality of life.
- The Mix – A UK based charity that provides free, confidential support for young people under 25 via online, social and mobile.